Welcome to My Blog

Time to get serious!

1. I need to lose the last 30 pounds to get to my goal weight.

2. I need to grow as an Independent Close To My Heart Consultant.

3. I need to start writing - prolifically

You are cordially invited to join me as I share my successes and obstacles, my thoughts and feelings, and my love of card making, scrapbooking and other crafty things.

I welcome your opinions, advice and inspiration.

Come ON! Let's GO!!


Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Homeschool Reflections: On Patience

            Before I started homeschooling, back when the kids were little, when the oldest was going to public school and my middle child was attending special needs preschool, I would’ve laughed at anyone who told me that in just a few years I would be homeschooling all three kids. I would’ve laughed even harder if they had told me that I would continue homeschooling until the youngest graduated from high school. Me? Homeschool? Riiiigggght….. I have no patience.

            Today, I hear from mothers who have professed an interest or desire in home educating their own children but end with the same reason I did. I have no patience. Well, this blog is to help debunk that excuse. Patience doesn’t happen overnight. Just as a child goes through stages of development so too patience develops as we go through life’s stages. As parents of young infants we walked the floor with them when they could not stop crying, we changed diapers over and over again, we waited until they were done eating. At times…we might have felt frustrated but we were patient because the situation at the time called for it. We were probably not even aware that we were being patient.

Patiently, we have helped potty train our children, taught them to recite their ABC’s, learn to spell their names and tie their shoes. We have waited (and waited) at myriads of doctor appointments to get our child a round of antibiotics or to get their next immunization. We have nursed skinned knees and have waited through many tantrums. We have waited in traffic, helped our children with homework and have sat through many teacher/conferences, PTA meetings, and school programs. Everyone, who reads this, can add to this list according to their situations. Clearly, the key is that patience is always at work. Patience is a character trait that requires everyone to exercise it.

Homeschooling is not sitting around the kitchen table or establishing a “school” room in your house and becoming a rigid task master. Homeschooling is a way of life and a very viable form of education and Mom or Dad, if you feel like you should homeschool do not be deterred by thinking that you have no patience because you are already practicing it and it takes practice to become “perfected”

 

By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope… Romans 5:2-4

Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. Hebrews 12:1-3

1 comment:

  1. Great points, Debbie. We're all learning and walking in patience every day whether we realize it or not. Identifying that fact in our lives debunks the 'lack of patience' myth! Good post!

    ReplyDelete